Six Additional Uses of Toilet Bombs - WHO Knew?!;-)))

Over the past month I've been using our toilet bombs in literally every single situation I could! And almost every time the bombs DID work for the purposes I was trying to use them for - UNBELIEVABLE! What I love the most is that in some cases I was reusing the same bombs for more than just one application: for example, I would put the bombs on the shelf to deodorize the room, and once the essential oil scents faded away I would use those same bombs in a fruit soak or as a nail cleaner;-)) I was so amazed by how multifunctional those babies are that I decided to share with you my list of top six "other" toilet bombs uses. Warning: some of them are weird;-)

1. Deodorizing
 This one is what helps make the bombs so multifunctional! Baking soda is known for its deodorizing properties, and the essential oils combo of lemon, lavender and peppermint will kill bacteria (including odor-causing ones) and they smell amazing together! As I mentioned earlier, you can just put the bombs in the area that needs to be freshened up (bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, garbage cans, etc.) and leave them there until you feel the scent is gone. After that I just reuse the bombs over again for any of the purposes mentioned below - unless they were in a trash can of course:-)

2. Fruit and Vegetable Soak/Scrub

Most of the homemade fruit wash recipes I find online include baking soda and lemon juice (which is used for the cleaning properties of citric acid in it;-) So once the essential oils scents in the bombs fade away after deodorizing my living room, I then put the bombs in the kitchen and reuse them as fruit/ vegetable "scrubs" (for ex. to clean lemons;-) or I drop one-two in the water and use them as a soak.  
Even though it sounds crazy that you can wash your fruit with toilet bombs... but well... you CAN! And it's all absolutely natural and healthy!

3. Facial Detox
Yes, you can apply toilet bombs on your face;-) From the recipe I posted you know that they are made out of baking soda, citric acid and three essential oils: lemon, lavender and peppermint. Well, all of those have great benefits for your skin (if used in moderation, of course!) Citric acid is known for its ability to remove dead skin cells and promote new cell turnover, which then helps reduce the appearance of scars and wrinkles (source). Baking soda is often used as an exfoliant, and all three essential oils kill acne-causing bacteria. Once a week after washing my face I usually just slightly touch the face with the bomb (WITHOUT rubbing!), let it fizz and then rinse. I want to warn that it does give some burning sensation and then redness for a short period of time, so if someone's not comfortable with that then this facial procedure might not be for them!
4. Instant Nail Cleaner
I learned this trick from my mom when I was little. After working in my parents' backyard garden, her nails would always end up getting pretty dirty. So after shower she would mix together some citric acid and baking soda and start rubbing the mixture under the nails. It does MIRACLES right away, as it "eats away"the dirt even in the hard to reach areas under your nails!

5. Dishwasher Cubes
Boy are those popular on Pinterest! And when you look at the tutorials you see that almost every single one of them has baking soda and/or citric acid in the ingredients list! So if you can fit your toilet bombs in the detergent dispenser, then they can be a perfect all-natural alternative to your dishwasher detergent;-)


6. Surface Cleaning /Scrubbing
When you come across some tough stains in your shower tab, sink. etc. it usually takes quite a bit of time and effort to scrub those off - it can get pretty annoying and exhausting:-( Yet when I use toilet bombs for that, the stains are gone without me having to apply much force at all! And for the untrained arms like mine - it's a HUGE plus;-)))

I feel like I'll be coming up with more and more toilet bomb uses later on. I already have two in mind as I'm writing this post, so once I test those, I'll start compiling a new list;-)))) Have a great week!!!

63 comments:

  1. wow! I`ve learned so much abt toilet bombs from your post)))
    mary2be.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you need to change their name now. they're not TOILET bombs their CLEANING bombs.

      Delete
  2. This is great! Never would have though about some of the extra uses myself. I have made these before and they were super cool. I used them as air fresheners in the bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Let me know if you ever come up with some other uses - cuz you're a genius and always have some amazing ideas;-))))

      Delete
  3. why have I never heard of toilet bombs? they seem to be very multi purpose! thanks so much for sharing this and also thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your lovely comment too. xx. gigi. www.gigikkitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gigi! It was definitely my pleasure - I totally loved your post on modest fashion;-)))

      Delete
  4. Хм, даже не знала о некоторых применениях этих бомб. Маша, спасибо за советы, пункты 1 и 6 использую регулярно:) Аромат и правда божественный:) Как очиститель для ногтей не пробовала, замечательная идея! В летнее время с ногтями проблема - сад и все такое:) Буду пробовать, нужно новую порцию бомб сделать;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо, Наташенька! Если у тебя будут ещё какие-нибудь идеи по применению бомб - поделись;-))) Я знаю, что ты гений ещё тот;-))))

      Delete
  5. I made them using your recipe a bit ago and just love them! I wondered if they had cleaning properties! I'm gonna put one in my shower floor and swipe it around!

    I have to ask, where did you get that darling little flower mold? I'd love to get one just like it! Thank you ever so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Delacotta! I love using them in my shower too;-))) I got those molds on Amazon - there's a ton of really cute ones;-))))

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much - I'll go look. I'm a melt and pour soap maker and addicted to molds. I just loved yours! (If you want to see what I do, I'm on Etsy as JBS Farms. I also am an old lady who does beauty You Tubes LOL; as delacotta360. LOVE your blog!!!! Thanks so much for doing it. : ) Susan

      Delete
    3. I LOVE your videos, Delacotta! And your soaps look SOOOO tempting!!!! You're just amazing♥♥♥

      Delete
    4. I got the flower mold from ikea plus several others. They market them as ice cube trays.

      Delete
  6. Волшебница Маша)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I've never actually heard of toilet bombs! This is making me want to get some...
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog!

    Jo x
    www.woobered.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I LOVED your post about your weekend in Bath, Jo!!!!

      Delete
  8. would these toilet bombs work in the front loading washing machine , to remove the stinky smell that they sometimes get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried them for that. But I would LOVE to hear about your experience if you happen to use them in your washing machine;-))))

      Delete
    2. Why not baking soda takes the funky smell out of my front loading machine so why would these not work. Also if your towels, face clothes, tea towels, dish clothes etc get a funky smell even after being washed use baking soda in the wash water for them as well. I am going to make these little babies and start using them.

      Delete
    3. Vinegar works too for smells....add 1 cup to a load of towels, add detergent and wash, works great and no smell when laundry is done.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the additional information! My 5-year-old daughter LOVES dropping them into the toilet, and we go through them pretty fast. Time to make more, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's amazing! I actually also feel like a kid and just drop and use them wherever I can - that's probably how I came up with this list;-))))

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing! Ive never heard of this before! Amazing idea!

    Lets follow each other? Im new to the blogosphere :)

    www.hellojennyho.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ух ты, спасибо за идеи!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have never thought of using a toilet bomb! So cool!

    citywitcountrycharm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi maria... i would like to thank u also... super blog...smile... im from denmark and i cant understand what medical mask is.... can u help me....I will try to make some my self. i can find a mask that nurses use.. but i dont think this is it..smile.. have a great day from denmark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nurses' one would be perfect - something non-fancy like this one: http://www.rubbertape.com.tw/applicationsrubi.html

      Delete
  14. I bet they would be great in the garbage disposal, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely! thank you for the idea, Angee;-)

      Delete
  15. Are these safe if you have animals that sometime drink from the toilet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yuck, never let an animal drink from a toilet.

      Delete
    2. No, please keep them out of reach of pets... and of course children! Essential oils are not for internal use!

      Delete
    3. I'm a little late on finding this post and can't wait to try the toilet bombs! FYI, Young Living essential oils are digestible and safe. So if you have little ones around please consider using this therapeutic grade line of essential oils. www.youngliving.org/ervincent

      Delete
    4. @VincentMom - Even though the essential oils are digestible, there are still some animals that should not have access to them. Cats, especially! Please be careful. Essential oils such as Pennyroyal and Tea Tree are usable on animals in DILUTE FORM ONLY, but one should never put undiluted oil on an animal's skin. Always dilute! ;-)

      Delete
  16. awesome! my first thought as a deodorizer is that this would probably work really well in a nappy bin! especially for those who use cloth nappies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, that's a great idea! Unfortunately, I can't test it... yet;-)))

      Delete
  17. Maria, where do you get citric acid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get citric acid in many major department stores. Target, K-Mart, etc carries it or you can go to Amazon.com and order it there.

      Delete
  18. Hi i just ordered 2 bags of these im so excited to get them!!! I detest cleaning the toilet so a toilet bomb is a cleaning dream come true for me hahaha my names maegan btw...im sure ill be ordering these regularly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. just wondering if you checked the max usage rate for the essential oils for a facial product before you recommended that people use the toilet cleaner for a face cleanser as well. I have not checked your recipe, but everyone should before they use it on a skin application. There are different classifications for usage and each has its own use rate. Most essential oils cannot be used in the same amounts for a skin contact as they can for non-skin, nor is a skin use usually the same as a facial use. So check the recipe carefully before using!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she did mention you cannot use it all the time. just "in moderation". every person's skin is much different so it should depend on each person, so if you use it every now and again it should be fine to use with what the amount of ingredients is suggested. but it's true, if people have issues in general with facial scrubs they may want to be careful and test it out a little on their hand or something to make sure their skin will work well with it.

      Delete
  20. Maria, I came here by way of Pinterest (evil time-eating thing that it is!) and loved your blog! I will be trying this recipe, I'm trying to use green cleaning products in my home. I will be following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do they also whiten your nails too? I know after wearing nail polish I have often used either hydrogen peroxide or lemon juice along with baking soda to get them nice an white again both on top and underneath. However doing this does tend to dry out the nails. But if the oils are in there already, I wonder if that would make a difference or not?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi maria:) I loved all your ideas! You are extremely creative! Cant wait to look around your site and see what else you have come up with:) As for using your recipes I am sure your fans/viewers realize it is try at your own risk and I think you might want to add that people don't need to add the scented oils to their facewash and maybe scale down and clarify the recipes for those who dont know exactly what they are doing. Good luck with fulfilling all your dreams:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just out of curiosity sake... would it work on cleaning out an oven? I have read on a number of DIY sites that using baking soda works well for cleaning ovens so I was wondering if this would give it an extra 1, 2 punch. Would the citric acid and essential oils be a help or a hindrance?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can I use lemon juice instead of lemon salts (which is citric acid)?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I use lemon juice instead of lemon salts (which is citric acid)?

    ReplyDelete
  26. where do i get citric acid

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just found this via pinterest! I love this idea. I use baking soda and citrus infused vinegar to clean and unstop the drains. This would be a great replacement for that...just drop one in the drain and pour some vinegar over it...I haven't tried it but I am sure it would work. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the uses!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this particular mold that you used. What size are the cavities and how many cavities are in each mold. Who is the manufacturer and what color is the mold? I am asking because I am trying to find this exact mold. There are so many on amazon that are similar. When will you have more of these toilet bombs to buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I found it. I found a red one with only 6 cavities. It looks just like it.

      Delete
  29. I just double checked, but this is also the basic recipe for making fizzy bath salts. All you need to do for a change of scent is switch up your essential oils. You can add epsom or sea salt to the mix as well for an additional twist in the bath.

    LOVE THIS IDEA. I am going to look through the rest of your blog not too. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would like to know if toilet bombs are safe to use in septic tanks?

    ReplyDelete
  31. First, I my mothertounge is german so my english is not that perfect. These Toilet Bombs are great. I couldn't find anything else in Europe so I tried and I am so glad to find your recipe... If you don't mind I will take the recipe and translate it in German to share this great thing on my blog.... www.mrssommer.blogspot.be.... Of course I will name you as source.... Thanx for sharing this great thing ...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just made these for a gift for my Mom, ( who loves hand made things) they turned out great! I wanted to make lemon ones, I used olive oil and a few drops of lemon extract and some dried lemon rind, they came out perfect!!! I live in the desert and they were dried and worked in about an hour.. I will be making many more!! I want some for myself now... lol..... Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, how do you order anything on here? I don't see any order forms or anything? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...