Four Ways to Purify Indoor Air Naturally

Recently I read on WebMD site that indoor air quality is almost always worse than the air quality outside. It turned out that all the pollutants that float in the air outside eventually make their way inside our homes and office buildings. Yet indoors we have plenty more sources of pollution that add greatly to all the "goodness" we breath in - both at home and at work (where we spend almost 99% - if not 100% - of our time!) Some of the indoor air pollution sources include heaters, bathrooms, gas stoves, carpets, household products and materials used in the building such as asbestos, lead and formaldehyde. In addition to some common sense measures like regular cleaning, proper ventilation, using non-toxic products and installing carbon monoxide detector, I've been using four natural "helpers" in purifying the indoor air. I've mentioned some of them before in my other posts, but I thought I'd do a quick summary of the top four.

  • Beeswax Candles

Beeswax candles are usually much more expensive than other waxes. Not only are they natural and don't pollute the air (unlike paraffin candles), they also improve the absorption of oxygen and help purify the air by releasing negative ions. On top of that, beeswax candles minimize histamine response, so burning them help reduce allergy symptoms - hugely important for allergy survivors like myself;-)


  • Himalayan Salt Lamps and Candle Holders - 
Do They Really Clean the Air????
 I purchased those candle holders a few years ago and then a few Christmases ago I also received Himalayan salt lamp as a gift. I LOVE the way they look and use them quite often, yet I'm not sure they have anything to do with purifying the air. I did buy into all the claims that are out there at first, but as I was doing more and more research, I realized that none of those claims have any scientific evidence.

  • Indoor Plants
Surprise, surprise!;-) No additional comments needed, I guess. I'll just add that I went with Peace Lily - I was told at the nursery it's one of the best air-purifying, yet one of the least light-dependent plants.


  • AromaTherapy vs. Perfume Suicide
Scents are an integral part of our life - we "consume" them in a gazillion different forms: perfumes, lotions, cleaning products, plug-ins, personal care and the list goes on. But when those fragrances come in chemical forms they add greatly to the air contamination and cause significant health damage (including cancer). Yet essential oils are used in aromaTHERAPY for a reason - they not only smell great without causing any damage, they also have amazing therapeutic effects. Double win!

  • Window Screen Cleaning Spray
The importance of letting some fresh air in regularly is a no-brainer. But when your screens are filled with dust, opening windows may bring about questionable benefits. Washing screens isn't something that we do on a weekly (let alone daily) basis, yet they get dusty much faster than the furniture. My OCD brain always struggled with that "logic", so I came up with a very quick natural DIY window screen spray that I try to use before I open the windows. And it seems like I'm not the only one loving it - so far that DIY post got repinned more than 100K times! That's a lot of noses being "saved"!;-))







Do you have any tips and tricks that help with the indoor air quality? 
I'd love to hear about them!


  About me:

California girl who came to the US from a small town in Russia all by herself and now making her EVERY single dream come TRUE!

 

12 comments:

  1. Хочу себе такую соляную лампу... Давно хочу))) Слышала про ее полезные свойства;)
    Машунь, спасибо за пост!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Наташ, я правда не думаю, что она воздух чистит:-(

      Delete
  2. Здравствуй, Маша! Я только о свечах. Заметила, что в эти короткие хмурые дни появляется неодолимая физическая потребность зажечь свечу. Вероятно не только у меня. Возник красивый обычай ( теперь и в офисах) - зажигать четыре свечи Адвента в ожидании Рождества.( каждое воскресенье - следующую). Во многих окнах горят безопасные электрические семисвечники. У меня - скромно: одна восковая свеча. В Латвии они недороги.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Да, Рождество и свечки просто не разлучны - очень классная традиция, Галина!

      Delete
  3. I love this post, funny how no one really thinks about "purifying" air indoors. My parents used to have a neat machine that purified the air to clean it out. I really need to start considering more ways to clean our air indoors. Great post<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think such machine can do the job so much faster!

      Delete
  4. Yea, I just don't think they clean the air at all:-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Машунь, привет. Спасибо за теплый комментарий в моем блоге. Про очищение воздуха в помещении ничего не использую, но зато во время отопительного сезона подвешиваю на батареи красивые керамические емкости с водой, вода испаряется постепенно и воздух в комнате не такой сухой)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Инна, ты просто гений - у меня батарей нет, но горячий воздух идет с потолка. надо как-нибудь что-то подобное как у тебя придумать;-))))

      Delete
  6. Great tips... I enjoy using jars filled with baking soda and some essential oil drops for keeping rooms indoors smelling nicely.... while the method doesn't purify air, it prevents the necessity of using chemicals (and other pollutants) to freshen indoor smells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Actually, this might also purify the air, depends on which essential oils you use - some of them have air purifying properties;-) Thank you SO MUCH for the idea, Maria♥♥♥

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    This is a great review. This is a very good product. This help us to air cleaned up. They are able to remove bacteria, viruses and any other threatening particles, pretty much all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...