My Russian Food Picks (+ Andrey's;-) that Everyone MUST Try!



When our favorite Russian chief told me she started working at a new Russian restaurant, I hesitated for two seconds (it's a 40-minute drive!), but five minutes later I was in my car driving there;-) She is THAT good!!! More than that the restaurant is located right next to a huge Russian grocery store (thank God my fridge was empty and ready for the overload;-) I thought I'd share with you, guys, a few of my and Andrey's favorites - I think you MUST try those out!!! Seriously - your life will never be complete until you do!;-)

First, Andrey's picks:

Plov - is a huge deal in Andrey's family. There wasn't a single get-together in his parents' house without plov on the table! Plus it's believed to be a "men's" dish: only men cook it. Sounds perfect to me;-) (recipe here)

Vinegret /Vinaigrette : it's super simple yet healthy and delicious! One of the most popular winter salads in Russia. (recipe here)
Cheburek - those used to be sold on every corner of every other street in Russia;-) (recipe here)
 
Kvas - a malt drink that is oh! so yummy (and unusually tasting;-) Because of it's high calorie content it's perfect for a healthy body weight gain! (anybody???)



 And now MYYYY favorites!!!!

Shuba salad (full name means Herring in a Coat) - I'm pretty sure it's THE most favorite salad among Russians! C'mon, Mila Kunis even talked about it on Jimmy Kimmel show! (recipe here)
Chicken Kiev - I used to buy at least one of those EVERY DAY back when I was at school. You can buy them in many grocery stores here in the States, but be careful - they're seriously addicting!!!

BY FAR my two most favorite Russian desserts are:

#1. Halva!!!!!
It doesn't look that good, but OMG I've been in love with it every since I was born (or some time close to my birth day) This is the biggest and most important invention in the world of sweets - I'm not even joking when I'm saying this!!! (I always buy the one with sunflower seeds.)

#2. Curd Snacks (сырок) - it's like a healthier and yummier version of cheese cakes (yep, it's possible!) in small packs. I always buy the chocolate covered ones;-)


I have so much more to share, but those ones will be enough for starters, I think;-)  Have you guys tried any Russian food already? What's your favorite?:-))
I hope you all are making this weekend an amazing one!!!

29 comments:

  1. Под эту закуску надо выпить! Восторг! Рецепты пока не читала, но не думаю, что ни будут радикально отличаться от моих. Даже латвийский "Kārums" тут как тут!:))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ха-ха, ну выпить - это не про меня:-) А вот Karums Андрей мой затачил так быстро, что я даже не успела заметить, что он был латвийский;-))) Видно вкуснючий был;-))))

      Delete
  2. Читаю тебя и какое-то странное ощущение. Все это же есть под боком, под моим боком:) Все доступно – приходи и бери. Даже не представляю, что годами можно не есть борщ или плов (тоже его люблю). И сразу Шубы захотелось:) Я в Европе пыталась найти гречку, так продавцы на меня как на ненормальную смотрели:))) Вот поэтому и ощущение странное – знакомое:))) Но я дольше, чем на месяц не уезжала, да и к еде не очень привередливая. Поэтому не сильно отвыкала от таких продуктов. А на родине скучаю по европейскими йогуртами, сырами, колбасами:) Отсюда и двоякое ощущение:) У тебя, наверное, уже есть любимые продукты местного производства?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Да, я уже отвыкла от русских продовольственных магазинов - поэтому гулялал по этому в течении часа!!!:-))) Местные продукты - это повседневность, а вот русские - экзотика;-)))

      Delete
  3. Прямо как в соседний супермаркет сходила, глядя на твои фото...хорошо, что глобализация позволяет в любой точке мира поесть национальной и любимой кухни. Удачной недели)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо, Инночка! Был бы ещё этот магазин поближе ко мне - было бы вообще круто;-)))

      Delete
    2. Маша. я номинировала тебя на премию The versatile blogger award. Проверь всю информацию в моем блоге 07.10.2013 ))

      Delete
  4. When I lived in NY I ate Cheburek every time I went to Brighton Beach. I looooove it. And of course Halva, it is very popular in the Balkans as well. I grew up eating it. The best ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I need to start a petition to bring Halva to every grocery store in America... and you'll start one for Europe;-) Let's do this!!!!

      Delete
  5. I would love to join your group blog post board. www.pinterest.com/taranicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria, according to your instructions posted at the top of your Pinterest Group Board "Share Your Blog Posts" I post this comment on your blog. My Pinterest account is http://www.pinterest.com/imbulletin/ Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look delicious!!! Greetings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, even looking at these makes me hungry;-)))

      Delete
  8. Maria, I sent an email to your Gmail account and I am looking forward to your reply! Thanks Mike Federle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried any Russian food. I would love to though - the vegetarian options anyway. I like the idea of any dish that men have to make, by the way! ;)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these look incredible! I've never tried Russian food before, but I always like to have a go!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, you should definitely give it a try - you won't regret, I promise;-))

      Delete
  11. You've gotten me hungry! :D Some of the dishes sound so similar to some of our local dishes but of course they are cooked very differently! :) We have a lot of halvas here too made of different things like carrots, gram and dates etc! I've got a sweet tooth! n_n I'd love to try Russian food! :) x

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I love the Russian Salad which is made of boiled potatoes, apples, peas, cream etc :D x -craving-

      Delete
    2. Ahh, I was just eating that salad, Jadirah!;-))) And about to eat some halva with tea;-) I wish we had so many different types - carrot halva sounds pretty exotic!

      Delete
  12. Thank you! i love adding an international flair to dinner from time to time, and this will broaden our culinary horizons! There was a little Russian store at the end of the street when i lived in San Diego and they always gave my daughter some of those little candies and me one the largest most delicious chocolate bars i've ever had in my life! I loved going and shopping there to help out a local shop and find new and interesting foods! I'm saving the recipes to try out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! I'm really glad you had a Russian store nearby, because there aren't that many of them usually. And please let me know how your cooking goes - I'd love to hear which ones you loved the most;-)))

      Delete
  13. интересный пост о родимой кухне)
    mary2be.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those all look so yummy! I love trying new things...now I just need to find a Russian grocery store in this city..... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure there are quite a few of them in Toronto;-))

      Delete
  15. А как же борщ? Голубцы? Пирожки?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Кстати отличный блог! Надеюсь что у тебя все получается и все мечты сбываются, с новым годом!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...